California Schools & Local Communities Funding Act of 2018
- Restores Over $11 Billion a Year for our Schools and Communities Services
- Does NOT Raise Taxes on Homeowners, Renters or Small Businesses
The League of Women Voters California, PICO California, California Calls, Advancement Project California and Evolve California have submitted a ballot measure to protect California from the Trump federal tax giveaway for millionaire, billionaire, and corporate landowners like himself.
California Schools & Local Communities Funding Act of 2018 will:
- Restore over $11 billion a year in revenue for our schools and local communities by closing the Prop 13 Corporate Loophole.
- NOT raise taxes on homeowners, renters, or small businesses.
- Help small businesses by eliminating the burdensome business personal property tax while also leveling the playing field for new businesses.
- Mandate full transparency and accountability for all revenue restored to California’s schools and local communities.
Trump’s federal tax bill is a massive tax giveaway to large corporations paid for by raising taxes on Californians and slashing funding for our schools and vital community services. In California we have our own massive tax giveaway that benefits these same large corporations at the expense of homeowners, renters and small businesses.
The Prop. 13 Corporate Loophole allows a small number of large commercial property owners to avoid paying over $11 billion every year in property taxes. In fact, only 8% of commercial properties get 77% of the benefit from this loophole.
Schools and local communities have already suffered from 40 years of disinvestment due to the Prop. 13 Corporate Loophole. Trump’s massive corporate tax cuts will hurt Californians even more — our education, first responders, healthcare, and community services are all threatened. It’s time to close this loophole and make large commercial property owners pay their fair share in order to restore vital funding for:
- Schools and Community Colleges
- Roads and Bridges
- Firefighters and First Responders
- Affordable Housing and Homeless Services
- Public Transportation
- Health Clinics and Trauma Centers
The California Schools and Local Communities Funding Act of 2018 is the only fair way to restore billions of dollars of reliable revenue every year for our schools and local communities without raising taxes on homeowners, renters, or small businesses.
Join a growing statewide coalition of community groups, educators, parents, local community leaders and more than 250 organizations that are supporting this commonsense and desperately needed reform.
You can read the language of the ballot initiative here.