Defending Public Education
Petition to Secretary of Education DeVos: Protect our Public Schools
Free and quality public education for all students is the foundation of a successful and equitable democracy. A well funded and fully staffed public school is the greatest asset a community can have. However, the same public schools that have educated generations of Americans are now under attack.
The Trump Administration and Public Education
Betsy DeVos, President Trump's recently appointed Secretary of Education, has inherited an office with the greatest responsibility of all: the future of our children. Unfortunately, Secretary DeVos is not only unprepared for this responsibility, she has a prominent track record of using her personal and family wealth to undermine public education.
Here are a few of the reasons we need to fight back against this agenda:
- President Trump has promised to cut billions of dollars from public schools and programs which serve public school students.
- Betsy DeVos is the first Secretary of Education who has no experience with public education either as a student, parent, or teacher.
- In Michigan Secretary DeVos aggressively fought for privatization of public schools and less oversight for for-profit charter schools.
- Secretary DeVos has refused to commit to enforcing federal laws protecting the rights of students with disabilities.
- Secretary DeVos has admitted that her family has donated up to $200 million to candidates to advance her privatization agenda.
Dear Secretary DeVos:
I implore you to ensure that every child in America is guaranteed the fully-funded public education to which they are entitled. As Secretary of Education, it is your duty to protect our public schools. Free public education is a fundamental right for all children.
Photo credit: Progress Virginia.